Thursday, January 16, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 01/15/14: Tree Work Done, Brokenness and Gratitude, Classic Albums and The Band and The Dead

1.  Chain saws, ropes, cables, running cables and ropes through neighbors' trees, bringing rope over the roof, keep the tree stable as they trimmed it and sectioned it:  it was fun to watch the tree crew figure out how to deal with the fallen tree in our backyard.  The crew succeeded.  The tree is gone, save for the sections and rounds I need to deal with in the back.

2.  I wrote on my blog today about the way music of The Band was, in a few instances, the soundtrack to the end of my marriage to Eileen and it was good to realize that while I remember the things that happened that were painful, I no longer feel the pain of our divorce. When I remember back to my first marriage (1976-82), I remember the fun we had and the goodness Eileen brought to my life.  It's true.  For years, I didn't understand why she left our marriage, but that has changed.  I think I do understand, or at least I have ideas, regarding why Eileen couldn't stay married to me. I don't like knowing that these things were true about me. I'm sorry about things.  The bitterness is long gone.  Gratitude prevails.  (The same is true about the string of broken relationships, and a marriage, that happened before the Deke and I married each other.  It seems to be one of the good things about growing older, about turning 60.)

3.  Some months ago, on YouTube, I watched a couple of episodes from the documentary series, Classic Albums.  Those two episodes explored Tom Petty and the Heartbreaker's Damn the Torpedoes and Steely Dan's Aja.  Then, as is so easy to do, I forgot that these terrific hour long shows were available about a wide range of musicians and albums.  This evening I watched the Classic Albums episode about The Band, looking at their first three albums, and another about the Grateful Dead looking at Anthem to the Sun through American Beauty.    Deep pleasure, all of it. 

No comments: