Saturday, January 25, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 01/24/14: Breaking the Fast, Taco/Rice Bowl, The Knicks Win Game 7

1.  I had to fast for a blood draw and I broke my fast around 9:00 at Sweet Life and for the first time in 2014 enjoyed a couple of almond biscotti and a cup of dark roast coffee. 

2.   The Deke and I were pleased with my latest effort in the kitchen:  small corn tortillas warmed and stuffed with a black bean, rice, tofu, mushroom mixture and topped with cheese and salsa.  The Deke turned hers into a rice bowl with some tortilla chips.  I built myself taco.

3.  I suddenly had this thought go through my wishful mind:  I wonder, I thought, if Game 7 of the 1970 NBA Finals is on YouTube.  It is!  It's complete!  I watched it all.  I watched the pregame suspense again.  Will Willis Reed play?  I watched his emotional entry into Madison Square Garden.  I watched him score four points right off the bat.  I watched Walt Frazier dominate the game and I watched Wilt Chamberlain look just awful.  His dippity-do finger roll shot inside was terrible and the one-legged Willis Reed owned him when the Lakers had the ball.  And get this:  from the free throw line, Wilt was 1-11 that night.  I had forgotten just how lousy Wilt could be when another player, like Reed, got in his head.  No one was in Walt Frazier's head, though.  He performed as well as anyone ever did in a Game 7 on May 8, 1970.

No comments: