Sunday, January 12, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 01/11/14: Bay Tree Snaps, Going Mobile (Sort of), Jiro and Levon

1.  At about 5 a.m., when a huge gust of wind blew down the huge, old, two-trunked bay tree in the back yard, it took down wires leading our neighbor's house, but only the very upper part of the tree landed on our roof and it looks like it didn't do any damage.

2.  I gained a little more mobility today as the swelling in my infected foot continues to go down and redness gradually goes away.

3.  I enjoyed two documentaries today, very different from each other.  First, I watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi, a portrait of 85 year old Jiro Ono, a widely acclaimed sushi master with a ten seat, 300 dollars a plate restaurant in Tokyo.  I also watched a portrait of The Bands drummer and vocalist, Levon Helm entitled, Ain't In It For My Health.  Both movies were studies in lifelong devotion to art.  Jiro Ono's life was still going strong as the movie about him drew to a close, but the same was not true for Levon Helm who died in April 2012.  The movie was shot before his death, but his declining health and difficulties with cancer were prominent in his story.

No comments: