Monday, January 6, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 01/05/14: Breakfast at Sam's, Watching the 49ers Win in Seattle, Returning to the Deke

1.  Ed picked me up for a 7 a.m. breakfast with Jerry, Mike, Buff, Brian, and Bella at Sam's and so my last morning in Kellogg gave me an even fuller immersion into life in Kellogg, especially as the table of about ten loggers, current and former, ended their meal at Sam's and flipped Ed shit on their way out door.  Watching that group of Sam's morning regulars, it was kind of like being in the lunch room at the cell room again.  The world's going to hell.  The president is ruining the country.  It doesn't matter if it's Nixon or Obama or anyone else:  nothing's good.  The men are different but the comments, the disbelieving head shaking, the weariness is the same.  So is the priceless spirit of friendship and camaraderie.

2.  The flights back to Eugene worked out great and my short layover in Seattle gave me time to see the thrilling 49er win over the Packers.  I was born and raised a 49er fan.  I've been a fan of theirs from the John Brodie years to the present and it was fun to see them win on the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field (even if it wasn't frozen...I understand the field has an underground heating system now...but what poetry is their in saying "the heated from underground turf of Lambeau Field?).

3.  The Deke and I went straight from the airport to Cornucopia and I enjoyed a South of the Border rice bowl with a couple of margaritas and we got the quick process of getting back into our Eugene life underway. 


No comments: