Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 01/13/14: Vincent Reports from C-Link, Huge Tree Job, My Past Comes to Thrill Me at the Bier Stein!

1.  My former student from over twenty years ago, Vincent, works for Century Link now and he came by the house to check on the downed communication wires, caused by the myrtle/bay whatever tree that fell Saturday morning. We quickly took care of C-Link business and had a great talk about what's going on in the days since LCC.

2.  Alby came over, too.  He's our go to arborist and he was stunned by the tree having fallen because the tree deceived us.  Often when a tree is suffering from what's called white rot, blisters appear on the bark.  This tree has shown some sign of problems, and we've kept an eye on it, but the rot inside turned out to be much worse than external signs would indicate.  Reading trees can be tricky.  But, a crew is coming in Wednesday and is going to undertake the tricky business of taking the tree off our house and removing it from our yard.  The good news is that our neighbor will get a huge store of firewood!

3.  At the Bier Stein tonight:  Our server was Jolene, a student of mine at LCC in 2008.  I had a chat with Liz who was in my Literature of Comedy course a couple of years ago.  Tim and I work together at LCC and he was just in touch with Deborah, a long lost friend of mine from Whitworth and the University of Oregon , and Deborah sent me greetings through Tim.  I had thought I would never hear from her again and now I have hope we'll be in touch before long.  Erik and I taught for about ten years together at LCC and were great friends around the department and we ran into each other and had a great talk.  As I was getting ready to leave, out of nowhere popped Nate, who was my student several times at LCC and is a good friend.  This was by far the best evening I've ever had in the Bier Stein. 

No comments: