Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 01/21/14: Students and Pictures, Tofu Eggplant Stir Fry, Insomnia Entertainment

1.  My student Angela showed me stunning pictures she took with her phone on a hike to the top of Spencer's Butte, pictures that featured fog, fog lifting, and silhouetted back lit firs.  Paula told me about heron shots she took at Alton Baker Park and stuck around after class and we talked about aperture and bokeh and her desire to create blurred backgrounds.  I think she got it.  (By the way, my every term photography project where I take my students' portraits is on hold until my foot/toe completely heals and the healing is almost complete.)

2.  I got dinner going kind of early, stir frying onion, ginger root, tofu, eggplant, and red pepper and combining them with brown rice fried in sesame oil.  The Deke arrived home really hungry and this dinner hit the spot for her.  I liked it quite a bit myself.

3.  I woke up after a couple hours of sleep and spent a couple waking hours until about 2 a.m. or so watching clips from Johnny Carson, assorted bits from Seinfeld, and a bunch of Steely Dan videos, all on YouTube.  I also slipped in Don Rickles roasting Clint Eastwood.  Eventually, all this comedy and music settled me down and I slept.  But, if I had to be unable to sleep, this was a fun and entertaining way to make it through my slight insomnia. 

No comments: