Friday, January 31, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 01/30/14: Hey! I've Got a Heart, Great Conversations at 16 Tons, Laughing Planet to the Rescue

1.  With great relief in her voice, a 45-55 year old LCC student on the bus this morning was telling a guy about how she'd just been approved for health insurance and now she could get a series of tests done on her heart that she's needed for a long time and I got a kick out her telling her story.  When the doctor told her she needed these tests run on her heart, she laughed and told the doctor, "I'm just glad you found a heart in there.  There's some I know try to tell me I don't have one."  She got a coughy congested kick out of herself telling that one.

2.  After a nice couple of pints of Einbecker Brauhaus Premium Pils at the Bier Stein I was ready to head home, but my phone rang and the Deke said she'd be at 16 Tons in an hour or so.  I hadn't been to Falling Sky for a while and I dropped in for a slow Dr. Optic Standard Bitter.  I arrived at 16 Tons before the Deke did, and Don Macnaughtan invited me to join him and Dick and Cliff and I did.  Unfortunately, Dick had to leave, but the conversation with Don and Cliff about movies and democracy in the USA and a little bit of LCC and other stuff was stellar and then the Deke arrived and it got even better.  Don and Cliff had to go and then Brian, one of the guys who works the check out at the Little Y Market in the same building as Billy Mac's, sat at our table with his buddy, and the Deke and I ended our evening at 16 Tons with jolly conversation with Brian and Cameron about tattoos, Brian's band, The Rhythm Pimps, and the small pleasures and infrequent tribulations of working check out at the Little Y Market next to Billy Mac's. 

3.  Spontaneously, with all that Billy Mac's talk, the Deke and I had to head over and we got to see Anne and Russell and Lynn and Kathleen and Allie as they were leaving, but we left right then, too, because there was nowhere to sit at the bar and we didn't feel like sitting at a table and so we each got a tasty Korean BBQ rice bowl at Laughing Planet and came home and ate our dinner. 

No comments: