Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Three Beautiful Things 05/09/16: Reading, Flopping and Splashing, Making Greek Pasta Salad

1. I don't really want to get up at 5 a.m., but when the corgis whine and shove their noses in my face to wake me up, most often I surrender. I guess the good thing about being up earlier than I want is that it gives me more hours in the day to write and, this morning, gave me some extra time to read more pages of Seabiscuit. It's funny. After all those years of teaching English, I needed a hiatus from reading -- I think, mostly, I wanted to give my mind a chance to reform itself so that I could read books free of thinking about whether they would be good for assigning in class and free of thinking about how I would teach them or what I'd assign my students to write. I'm making my way, now, through entire books without having these teaching questions rise up and, as a result, I'm enjoying reading books for reasons having nothing to do with the habits of thinking I developed over a long career of teaching. I like that. I enjoy reading for non-professional reasons and I'm enjoying taking an interest in things. like detective work in Baltimore or WWII airplanes or the rise of the auto industry in the 1930s that have nothing to do with anything I ever did in the classroom.

2. The water at the swimming pool seemed warmer than usual this morning and after I flopped and splashed around during today's aerobics class, I stuck around and made up exercises and tried them out, not only to get a little more of a workout, but also because the water soothed me.

3. I found a recipe for a Greek pasta salad and a Greek vinaigrette and both were easy: bow tie pasta, red onion, Kalamata olives, feta, Parmesan, cucumber, and tomatoes and a vinaigrette of red wine vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, basil, garlic, salt, and pepper. I thought a bottle of  Pinot Grigio would taste good with this salad and I was right -- and the Deke agreed.


No comments: