Sunday, October 2, 2016

Three Beautiful Things 10/01/16: Pop-up Unblocked, Lebanese Cooking, Guess Who Bliss

1.  I enjoy Ronald White's biography, A. Lincoln, a lot, and I'm reading it over an extended period of time. I needed to check it out from the library as an e-book again, and I figured out, after many failed attempts, that the pop-up to Amazon was being blocked -- so I unblocked the pop-up, and, to my great joy, downloaded the book successfully and read about Lincoln's early days in the Illinois House of Representatives.

2.  I fixed family dinner this afternoon and tried out a new recipe:  Maghmour, a Lebanese take on Moussaka.  The recipe is here.  Cooking Lebanese food brought back great memories starting over twenty years ago when I used to cook out of a Lebanese cookbook I either gave away or lost when we moved to Maryland. With the help of a friend, back in 1995, I fixed a Lebanese dinner for about ten friends when we had a gift exchange during the Christmas season. In 2011, I think it was, along with Rev. Betsy Tesi, I cooked a huge amount of food from this cookbook for dinner one night at St. Mary's Episcopal Church in support of a talk Loren Crow gave.  These, and many other happy cooking memories returned as I was up to my knuckles in chickpeas, roasted eggplant, tomatoes, and a lot of garlic.

3. At the Quench taproom I greatly enhanced my enjoyment of a couple of glasses of Ninkasi's Maiden the Shade IPA by using my phone to listen to the All Right Now station on Pandora -- wow! I was not expecting to hear The Guess Who's "No Sugar Tonight/New Human Nature" and I immediately texted my bliss to Scott Stuart and we agreed that only one thing could have made my bliss better:  a lead in from our favorite Vancouver, BC radio station in the early 70s, CFUN...All Hit Music. Or from Spokane's KJRB.

No comments: