Monday, October 31, 2016

Three Beautiful Things 10/30/16: Flub Becomes a Free Pass, Walking to Washington Square, McSorley's and Jimmy's No. 43

1. I flopped into the Sube and tooled from Nayack, across the Tappan Z Bridge, to Tarrytown and parked at the train station so I could board a train for Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan. When I bought my train ticket at the vending macine, I made a mistake and bought two round trip tickets. I relieved my sense of self-loathing for making such a dumb error by walking up to a guy at another machine and giving him the ticket I didn't need.  He thanked me with a handshake and we both went on with our day and our travel.

2. Upon arrival at Grand Central, I strolled to Zucker's for a cinnamon raisin bagel and cream cheese and a coffee and then walked through Madison Square Park on my way to Washington Square Park where I rested, watched scores of people out and about on such a lovely day, and pretended like I was a citizen, for an hour or so, of Greenwich Village.  It was about a two mile walk, an awesome one.

3.  Scott Shirk and I agreed to meet at the Shake Shack in Madison Square Park and after he finished his lunch, we strolled to the lower regions of Manhattan and enjoyed a few beers at McSorley's Old Ale House. It was the only time in my life I've quaffed beer in a joint where Abraham Lincoln and John Lennon did, too -- and Woody Guthrie! Maybe you've read e. e. cummings' poem about this "snug and evil" place, here.

We ended our afternoon of conversation and beer with a cheddar plate and a superb Double IPA at Jimmy's No. 43, a basement bar in the East Village owned by Jimmy Carbone who does a favorite podcast of mine, Beer Sessions.

We finished our beer and our snack and walked several blocks to the Bleecker Street station and I rode the 6 train back to Grand Central and Scott headed home to Brooklyn.

At Grand Central, I found the train back to Tarrytown and arrived back at Adrienne's safe, sound, and happy/grateful for a superb day.

No comments: