Saturday, October 8, 2016

Three Beautiful Things 10/07/16: Ceremony Finalized, Crock Pot Chicken, Vacuum Cleaner Troubleshooting

1.  I will be traveling to Savannah, GA on Friday the 14th to officiate Scott and Cate's wedding on Sunday the 16th and, after a few emails back and forth, I think Scott, Cate, and I have the ceremony finalized and I continued to edit what I'll say to start the ceremony and my charge to the couple. I have also been trying to keep updated on the impact of Hurricane Matthew on Savannah and I don't really have a very good sense of things at all.

2.  I lined the bottom of the crock pot with four chicken thighs and covered them with chopped onion, chopped mushrooms, and baby carrots and added chicken broth, salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, and the juice of lime and let it cook and cooked up a pot of basmati rice.  The Deke and I had dinner together.  She decided to return to the Diazes for the night and not make herself get up early Saturday morning to join me at the transplantation conference north of Baltimore.  I supported her decision completely. She's had a demanding week and it will help her a lot to get some extra sleep.

3.  So, I'm not great with machines -- you know, understanding them, figuring out problems, fixing them. I have been concerned about the vacuum cleaner for a while -- it just wasn't pulling stuff off the floor and carpeting -- and today the machine just seemed completely crapped out. I went to the handy World Wide Web and did some troubleshooting and learned that I should check two different airways for blockage.  I checked the first and it was fine.  I checked the second and discovered a round paper label of some sort the machine had sucked up and upon removing it, discovered about 100 pounds of dog hair and other debris that was indeed blocking the airway right behind the brush roll.  I had also cleaned a couple of filters and they weren't dry yet, so I couldn't test my repair job, but I'm fairly confident that with that area cleared, the vacuum cleaner should be working again.

No comments: