Saturday, October 15, 2016

Three Beautiful Things 10/14/16: TSA Pre-Check, Excellent Lunch at Applebee's, Beer in Savannah

1.  I arrived at Baltimore Washington International airport early enough that it was no problem when the Express Parking Lot was closed and I had to drive a ways to the Long Term Parking Lot.  Once I checked in my suitcase and headed to the security line, I realized, through no effort of my own, that I had a TSA pre-check boarding pass and so I didn't have to take off my shoes or get out my laptop and I waltzed through security with ease.

2.  My flight to Atlanta as well as to Savannah were easy and Scott picked me up at the airport and we ducked into an Applebee's for lunch and started getting caught up on things and talked about the wedding ceremony and how everything was shaping up -- in a word, it all looks good.

3.  I checked into my room at the downtown Savannah Hampton Inn and got situated.   After a couple hours of rest from traveling, I joined Scott and Cate for a walk down Bay Street to the Moon River Brewing Co., a restaurant that brews their own beer, and enjoyed a couple of glasses of Bandicoot Rye IPA -- I love Rye IPAs and this one was most satisfying.  Scott and Cate returned to wedding preparations and I strolled down to Churchill's Pub and, to my delight, they were serving Barrel-Aged Arrogant Bastard.  Back in the early part of the 21st century, I used to drink Arrogant Bastard from time to time, but it had been a while and I had never had the barrel-aged stuff.

Oh. My.

Let's just say that I will very likely pop back into Churchill's for another snifter of this aggressive, vanilla-y, oaky, somewhat boozy, subtly fruity, almost cocoa-y flavor bomb.  For me, it's not a beer to drink for refreshment, but to enjoy as a meditation upon epicurean beauty.


No comments: