Saturday, August 5, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 08/04/17: Mom is Subdued, Lunch Errands, Relaxing Evening

1.  I spent about two and a half hours with Mom this morning on into the early afternoon. When she said, "All right, let's go!", I took her out into the hallways of Kindred. We stopped to visit Peny. I didn't take Mom outside because the air is so smoky from forest fires. For nearly the whole time I was with Mom, she was subdued. She didn't have a lot to say. She drank a protein shake and picked at her cottage cheese and pears a bit, but was not very interested in food.

2. Around 1:00, just before Christy arrived, Stu came to Mom's room and Mom greeted him with a smile, but didn't say much. When Christy arrived, Stu and I went to the liquor store to get some boxes, ran an errand in Osburn, and had lunch at Sam's. I stopped off at Mom's room to pick up my pack I'd left behind and a shirt and pair of pants of Mom's to add to the laundry. Scott left and the Deke and I delivered a stack of blankets and towels to the vet in Kellogg and Pinehurst, recycled a load of magazines and broken down boxes, and did a little shopping at Yoke's. Back home, I continued our project cleaning Mom's basement and broke down more boxes and loaded more magazines in the car to recycle.

3. Carol, Paul, Christy, Everett, the Deke, and I were ready for some relaxation this evening. The evening cooled off comfortably. Christy prepared a very delicious dinner of barbecued chicken drumsticks, garden bread, and a cool refreshing salad that included zucchini and pineapple. Carol made a batch of mojitos and we ate, drank a little, and talked about a variety of things, with some special emphasis on what each of us has been experiencing with Mom and questions we have for the staff at Kindred.

No comments: