Monday, August 14, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 08/13/17: Mom Has Slept for Days, Breakfast at Sam's, Piling Ideas on Tables. . . Reunion Picture

1. I now know, from reading Carol's blog, that Mom has had some brief times of being awake and I know that this morning she ate a little bit of yogurt. On the whole, though, she has continued to sleep. I visited her briefly at 10 this morning and she was asleep and I spent about three and a half hours with Mom this afternoon and she slept. When Nurse Brian raised her head a bit and tried to better position her to take her medicine, Mom cried out. The slight repositioning hurt. Nurse Brian was very gentle with her and succeeded in giving Mom the medicine. I thought at that point Mom might be a little bit awake. I talked with her a little bit, she murmured. I couldn't understand her. By this time, the Deke had come to Mom's room. After a while, we left. She was asleep.

Mom has been asleep, with only brief intervals of being awake, since Thursday. Today, Rick Wainright, Sue and Joe Kerns, Pam Sample, Rick and April Lee, and maybe others I've forgotten came to visit Mom.

2. It was fun to have Stu message me this morning and invite me to Sam's for breakfast. I joined him and Lars and, a little later on, Ed and Mike also sat with us. We yakked about the reunion and other stuff and agreed that it had been and fun weekend full of great times with people we've known ever since we were kids.

3.  The Deke and I continued putting ideas for our future on the table after we said goodbye to Mom. We began by piling up ideas on the bar at Radio Brewing where we enjoyed a glass of IPA and also had some really good conversation with a couple of the employees whose names I haven't learned yet. I will.  Then we went down to the Hill Street Depot and piled more ideas and possibilities on a table. The Deke hadn't been to the Hill Street Depot and enjoyed it a lot. We found out that the Hill Street Depot features smoked meats, smoked on site, so we ordered some smoked Buffalo wings and enjoyed them a lot.

The wings were appetizers in preparation for a superb comfort food meal that Christy prepared: pork steaks and sausage gravy with brown rice. She also served cucumbers and green beans out of her garden. It was a delicious and comforting way to end our day.

* Sharon Waldo took this picture of me Saturday morning while we got the float ready for the parade. As you can see, I was very happy to be with so many life long Kellogg friends:


No comments: