Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 03/31/20: Fish Chowder, Errands, The House Shook BONUS: Stu's April 1st Limerick

1. I'm about to tell you something that will matter quite a bit by the time you finish reading this post. April 1st is National Sourdough Bread Day. I learned that today. It made me think of when Mom used to make sourdough food -- I think I was in grade school, but I'm not sure -- and how much I enjoyed it when we had sourdough pancakes. Mom made small pancakes and it was fun to be able to go to Sunday School and boast about eating a dozen pancakes for breakfast.

My cooking today didn't involve sourdough. No, I thawed a quart of crab stock and made a pot of creamy fish chowder with shrimp and chunks of salmon broken off from the salmon burger patties I buy at Costco. The recipe I use calls for a bit of cayenne pepper, an ingredient I leave out when I make this chowder for family dinner. I included it today and so Debbie and I both enjoyed the deep flavors of the crab stock and the touch of heat provided by the cayenne pepper.

Ha! Now that I think about it, too bad we aren't in the sourdough swing of things in our home. I would have enjoyed some sourdough bread or rolls with this fish chowder.

2. During this time of sheltering in place, it seems that about once a week I have to run a few errands in town. Today, I had a prescription to pick up at Yoke's and, while there, I quickly stocked up on some groceries. Debbie knit Ellie a hat and I dashed into the Post Office and had it mailed and dashed right out. The clerk at the Post Office counter and I completed this transaction with a barrier of plastic between us, hanging in wide strips from overhead. I ended my errands by swiftly grabbing a bottle of Tanqueray, a fifth of George Dickel Rye Wiskey, and a bottle of orange bitters and was in and out of the liquor store in a matter of minutes. I followed all the protocols at Yoke's. I sanitized my grocery cart and moved as efficiently through the store as possible and I kept my distance. Once home, I immediately scrubbed my hands after putting the groceries away and I took a shower.

Carol and Paul made a Costco trip today and, to my delight, were able to fulfill my three requests: 48 16 oz bottles of sparking mineral water, a package of four pounds of butter, and a bag of pre-cooked shrimp. Paul left the products on the porch and we made quick work of the exchange between us when I paid him with a check. Christy asked them to get her some rice. They brought back a large bag and Christy offered to share her rice with us. I delivered quart containers to Christy's back porch, she filled eight of them with rice, and returned the containers to our back porch.

3. Debbie and I live in the house my mom and dad bought and moved us into back in June of 1962. At that time, US Highway 10 came through Kellogg on Cameron Avenue. Our house is on "Little Cameron", a street that runs parallel to Cameron Avenue itself. For all intents and purposes, we lived on Highway 10 until the freeway opened a couple or three years later.

I have two vivid memories of living so near the highway. First of all, during the summer of 1962, which was the year of the Century 21 Exposition, the Seattle World's Fair, Cameron Avenue/Highway 10 was thick with cars coming and going from Seattle and I saw more license plates from more different states than I'd ever imagined.

Second of all, I remember how our house used to shake when big trucks came through Kellogg and rattle things hanging on the wall.

At about 4:45-5:00 this afternoon, I thought it was 1962 again. I suddenly thought I was an eight years old. The house shook and I could hear some rattling in the kitchen cupboards.

It was an earthquake.

It wasn't long before we learned that 6.5 magnitude earthquake, originating in central Southern Idaho, in the Challis National Forest, had taken place.

Our experience was mild, but it was strong enough to transport me back about fifty-eight years ago to the early days of living in this house.


Stu wrote a limerick for April 1st. Now is when the information I wrote at the beginning of this post will come in handy!

Today is for "Fooling" it's said.
Jokes played just to make your face red.
All joking aside,
Make it known far and wide.
It's also for Sourdough Bread.

No comments: