Sunday, April 5, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 04/04/20: Yakkin' with Colette Marie, Granola Batch, Welcome Back Marcella Hazan BONUS A Limerick by Stu

1. My fumbling with my cell phone turned out fortuitous today! Colette Marie wondered online if and how she could see Bill and Marjorie's Thursday night concert. I decided to text her the answer, but in my fumbling, bumbling way I dialed her phone number. She didn't pick up and I couldn't figure out in my fumbling bumbling state how to hang up and I left her a message.

No harm done, but I felt foolish that I was being such a stumble bum with my phone.

The fortuitous part was Colette Marie called me back. We last talked in November over dinner at The Prodigal Son in Pendleton. We had a terrific conversation about all sorts of things --  I  learned that Colette's family, including her son in western Washington state, are hanging in there in the face of some difficulties and was really happy to learn that Colette is continuing her work on her MFA at EOU and has the solid support of her family in her graduate work.

2. Well, so far, in my very limited trips to Yoke's, old-fashioned oatmeal has been on the shelves, and, for Debbie and me, that's a good thing because I can keep up my production of granola. My experiements today were moderate. I sweetened the granola with a combination of honey and maple syrup and I put in a few whole cloves along with the cinnamon. I think next time I'll be a little more aggressive with the cloves -- I'd like to bring that flavor -- one of my favorites -- forward more.

3. As our day crept closer to dinner, I asked Debbie if a pasta dinner sounded good. Debbie perked right up and responded with a solid "Yes!". Then she said that she'd love pasta with that tomato sauce that has an onion in it. I knew immediately that she was referring to Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce. So, I opened a couple of 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes, cut up an onion into chunks, and sliced off about five tablespoons of butter and combined it all it a pot with a dash or two of salt. I let it all bubble away for about 45 minutes or so, removed the onion chunks, and we enjoyed our favorite sauce over penne pasta. Pasta with Marcella Hazan's sauce, for Debbie and me, has got to be one of the tastiest and simplest meals possible. It's miraculous that we don't just fix it every night.


Here's another of Stu's limericks that many of us can relate to!

How in the world can it be?
That menus are so hard to see!
And I get dizzy from gittin',
To standin' from sittin'.
And that guy in the mirror ain't me.

No comments: