Monday, April 6, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 04/05/20: Pancakes, On Location, *CSI: Miami* Party BONUS A Limerick by Stu

1. On Saturday night, if I remember correctly, Debbie said she'd like to have pancakes for breakfast on Sunday. This morning, Adrienne sent Debbie and me a picture of apple cinnamon pancakes she and Jack had joined forces to make. That sounded good to me, so I melted butter in a pan, sliced up an apple, put the slices in the butter and seasoned the apples with brown sugar and cinnamon.

From the basement, I brought up the pancake/waffle mix Debbie purchased a couple of weeks ago and made us each a couple of pancakes. Debbie put the apples on hers with yogurt and I made a pancake sandwich. I covered the bottom pancake with apples and I poured real maple syrup over the top pancake.

2. On Saturday night, Debbie and I watched Three Days of the Condor for a while and Debbie said, at some point, she'd had enough. It was making her too nervous. I watched the rest of the movie this afternoon and didn't think it added up to much. It's funny. More than anything, I enjoyed that most of the movie took place in New York City in the early 70s.  It was shot on location and I enjoyed seeing the New York City street scenes and interior shots of apartments, a diner and a cafe more than the movie.

After finishing the movie, I poked around on the World Wide Web and discovered a blog called Movie Tourist (it's here). The creator of this blog posts addresses and images of locations in movies. The creator covers a wide range of cities and movies and I enjoyed very much examining what he posted for Three Days of the Condor -- and daydreamed about jotting down the addresses and visiting these spots one day if I can travel to NYC again.

3. I had already watched the replay of the 1983 NCAA men's basketball championship game between North Carolina State and Houston and was about halfway through watching last year's title game between Virginia and Texas Tech when Debbie invited me to come out in the living room for a party.

Our party started out somberly as we watched a SkyTV feature on the pandemic's impact on Bergamo, Italy's hardest hit city.

It was sobering. We let what we'd seen sink in. Earlier in the day I'd watched a documentary about the influenza pandemic of 1918-19. It reaffirmed for me that history is predictive.

I looked for something different for us to watch and we broke out in simultaneous laughter when we saw that episodes of CSI: Miami were airing on WE TV.  It had been years since we had indulged this guilty pleasure and so we watched a couple of episodes and it all came back: the bright colors of the fantasy world of Miami where only the most beautiful men and women live, several of them working as crime scene investigators, and the grave comic seriousness of the program's lead character, the incomparable Haratio Caine. I recalled evenings back in Eugene when I would watch, on YouTube, one opening after another of episodes of CSI:Miami just to hear what pithy comment Horatio Caine would make just before the sonic blast of The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" signaled that things were getting real and the investigation of another crime was about to get underway.


Stu pays homage to Kellogg's Teeters Field in today's limerick:


Sports fields can have grass like a lawn.
Their purpose is for games to play on.
Like football and soccer,
But Teeter’s don’t knock ‘er!
She served well with grass that was gone!

No comments: