Friday, April 10, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 04/09/20: The Rena and Pasties, *Molly's Game*, A New Appetizer! BONUS Stu's Limerick

1.  I had fun over the course of the day reading comments on the blog post I put up today. Two items attracted interest. First of all, Stu's limerick made mention of  being scared at the old Rena Theater in Kellogg by "the guy with the flashlight". Bobbie H. remembers him kicking  her sister out of the theater for unknown reasons and then Bobbie would have to leave, too. Bobbie isn't sure what her sister did. Christy wrote that a friend of hers got chased all the way upstairs to the bathroom by the mean creepy guy with the flashlight. Stu and I had a fun time messaging back and forth about the guy with the flashlight and pieced together some Rena (and Wilma in Wallace and CdA) history and agreed: the flashlight guy flat out didn't like kids.

I also enjoyed the comments that ensued regarding pasties. Cousin Lura didn't know about pasties and I enjoyed bringing her up to speed. I also enjoyed all the comments regarding whether to eat pasties with gravy. I definitely have friends who enjoy their pasties with gravy, but Bev W, who grew up in England, reminded me that gravy makes them too messy. I suspect this is especially true when the pasty is packed in a miner's lunch bucket. Tom T. detailed the ingredients his mother packed into the pasties she made, stimulating my appetite (!), and reported they were served with gravy at the dinner table and with ketchup when he carried them in his lunch bucket at the Bunker.

When Christy made pasties with Mary A. back in January, Mary said that people she knew liked pasties with either brown gravy, ketchup, sour cream, or ranch dressing. Christy likes hers with sour cream.

As you can tell, I really enjoyed this daylong conversation throughout the day about pasties. What a great topic of conversation and a way to share ideas and experiences. Oh! I enjoyed the Rena stories, too.

2. Over the last few months, on several occasions, Ed has recommended I watch the movie, Molly's Game, the story of Olympic-level skier Molly Bloom and her experience hosting and running ultra-high stakes poker games in Los Angeles and New York City.

I enjoyed the movie a lot. I didn't know what to expect and I'm glad I didn't come into it thinking it would be a "poker movie", like, say, Rounders. I experienced this movie as less of a poker movie and more of a character study of Molly Bloom, and, I thought, a study of the seductive powers of tons of money and its impact on a person's integrity.

I went to IMDb and looked over the list of movies Jessica Chastain has appeared in and it confirmed that I had never seen her in a movie before. This movie presents Molly Bloom as complex and conflicted, faced with much to grapple with and grave decisions to make. I thought Jessica Chastain played her many dimensions beautifully.

3. Debbie and I explored some new territory in our life together tonight.

It was getting close to dinner time and Debbie wondered if I'd pop popcorn. I was happy to and we each enjoyed a small bowl. It is not a new thing for Debbie and me to have popcorn for dinner. About a half an hour or so after we ate the popcorn, I asked Debbie if she wanted a steak -- we had flat irons ready to be cooked in the ice box.

Debbie said yes. And she requested spinach.

So, since we weren't having popcorn dinner, now Debbie and I have opened up the popcorn as an appetizer option in our funny little Kellogg life.

I headed back to the kitchen. I thought onions would go well with spinach and steak, so I fried up onions, added a block of frozen spinach to the skillet, cooked them up together, and fried the steaks with onions and we had a very satisfying dinner, possibly made even better by popcorn to start. 


April 10th is National Sibling Day and Stu commemorates it with a limerick:

Be they close maybe you fight.
Want them near or best out of sight.
If they're loved ones take note,
Or you might miss the boat.
To make your Brother or Sister's day bright!


No comments: