Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 04/21/20: Health and Wellness Trail, Talkin' with Paul, Bill Davie Live! BONUS A Limerick by Stu

1. It finally came back to me today. I don't do well scaling Mt. Health and Wellness behind the hospital after I've eaten mush or scrambled eggs or anything else for breakfast and do much better if I gather up my helmet, harness, ice screws, Prusik cord, carabiners, and other gear and crawl up the hill before breakfast.

So I did that today. I scaled the hill. Before breakfast.

Last year's approach came back to me today.

Time to get back into that rhythm.

2. I was trying to think when I last talked with Paul Richter (KHS '70). We played baseball, golf, and basketball together when I was in junior high and high school. I think Mom was his second grade teacher. My (faulty) memory recalls last talking to him at the, I'll say, 1978 (or was it 1979?) Memorial Day weekend golf tournament at the Pinehurst golf course. We had both completed our rounds and our conversation was about the NBA Finals. We were both excited about the Seattle SuperSonics appearing in the finals and talked about that. I haven't seen Paul in person since.

We had a terrific conversation on the phone today. We covered a lot of ground, talking about the present as well as catching each other up on challenges we've faced over the years with our health and other things.

I don't know if the local golf course will hold the annual Memorial Day tournament this year. Originally, Paul was going to come over to play and we would have seen each other again, back on the old golf course -- him as a player, me as a spectator these days. Wisely, whether or not the golf course holds the tournament, he's staying put, lying low, not taking unnecessary risks. He lives in an area that's been hard hit with Covid 19 cases. He won't risk bringing the virus into the Silver Valley.

3. After enjoying a couple dirty martinis on the back deck while visiting, at safe distance apart, with Debbie and Christy, I returned to the house to listen to Bill Davie perform live again on Facebook.

Technologically speaking, it was a glitchy sixty minutes.

I couldn't tell if I was having rural Kellogg internet problems or if Bill was having problems on his end -- or both.

After a while, disappointed, I surrendered, gave up the ghost;  this morning (Wednesday), however, before writing this blog post, I went onto Bill's Facebook page and found two videos and listened to everything that was posted from last night and enjoyed his performance completely!

I don't experience many silver linings in this time of pandemic, but the fact that Bill Davie wants to perform, can't do it in front of a live audience, and so broadcasts himself over the internet means that that I've heard him perform more this month than in the last twenty some odd years combined. Bill says it's good therapy for him. It's renewing for me.

Hearing Bill perform animates me, touches my feelings, and gives me great joy.

Here's today's limerick from Stu:

Cousins are hard to explain.
To understand puts a tax on your brain.
First or Second is clear,
Further down requires beer.
And when you talk of "Removed" it's insane.


No comments: