Thursday, April 9, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 04/08/20: Fresh Spring Air, Pasties, Banana Bread and Lemon Bread BONUS A Limerick by Stu

1. Today's sunshine and fresh air motivated me to work on indoor things. We opened doors and windows and refreshed the house with spring air. I cleaned up the Vizio room, vacuumed it, and threw open the curtains and windows and suddenly it was transformed, bright and airy. I wrote a business email I've been putting off as well as a business text message. I decided to postpone a doctor's appointment until early May. Taking care of all these things relieved me.

2. Over at Carol and Paul's house, there's been baking activity. Carol texted us with an offer for pasties and Paul put them on the porch late this afternoon. I don't know exactly where I got it in my head that I enjoy pasties with gravy.  Christy made pasties in Mullan back in January -- no gravy. In February, a year ago, Christy, Everett, and I ate pasties while watching the Zags. I think those pasties came from Montana -- no gravy. I enjoyed the pasties that Paul delivered -- don't get me wrong -- but I also thought that I would enjoy some gravy in the filling and/or over the top of my pasty and I'm wondering if when I ate pasties over forty years ago in Cornwall, they had gravy -- or if I'm confusing pasties in my head with meat pies. I don't know. It's where my thoughts went this evening.

3. Turns out Christy has been busy baking, too. A little later in the evening, she dropped off a loaf of cream cheese banana bread and a loaf of zucchini lemon bread. I was all over the banana bread immediately. Banana bread has been a part of our family's life for as long as I can remember. Grandma Woolum made awesome banana bread and so did Mom. Neither of them baked it with the added delight of cream cheese like Christy did (Oh my God!), but I associate the taste of banana bread with Christmas and as I ate a single slice of Christy's bread tonight, a rush of Christmas sensations and memories flooded my mind. 

Today, Stu recalls Kellogg's old movie theater, the Rena:


So movies that you waited to see.
Is now different than IT used to be.
Back then was the Rena
Which just had one Screena.
And the guy with the flashlight scared me.


No comments: