Monday, April 20, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 04/19/20: Huffing and Puffing, Party with W. Cronkite, A Fun TV Night BONUS A Limerick by Stu

1. Last summer, when I first hiked beyond the picnic table on the Health and Wellness Trail, trekked into Revett Lake, and trudged to the end of the Pulaski Trail, I moved slowly, got easily winded, and had to rest on the trail a lot. Today I hiked the Health and Wellness Trail and, after a winter and early spring of being too sedentary, I'm in lousy shape again. I huffed and puffed my way to the picnic table today and hope to get stronger with more hikes -- but, I sure enjoyed being on the trail.

2. Debbie and I got a good party underway late this afternoon. I fixed Debbie a renewable Manhattan and I fixed myself a couple of martinis, the second one dirty. I'd been wondering if past episodes of the CBS news program, The Twentieth Century, were available anywhere. I put YouTube on the television and, with a little searching, found an episode from 1966. As part of the program's "Man of the Month" series, The Twentieth Century (hosted by Walter Cronkite) presented a half an hour profile of Ho Chi Minh. Having just watched  The Quiet American and the first episode of Ken Burns' Vietnam, which focused much attention on Ho, this profile was a perfect way to get the story of post-World War II Vietnam more firmly lodged in our memories.

3. Debbie made an awesome kale salad for dinner. I dove into our television's PBS app and we looked at titles from the American Experience series. We had never heard of Alfred Loomis. He made a ton of money as a young man, bought a Tuxedo Lake mansion, and built himself a world class scientific laboratory where he could live out his passion for science and invention and became a world-renowned figure, especially in developing technologies in support of the U.S.A.'s war effort in the 1940s.

The program is titled, "The Secret of Tuxedo Park". We watched it and found it fascinating.

We switched gears and watched another episode of Foyle's War as Christopher Foyle navigated the choppy waters of tensions between divisions of the Britain's intelligence efforts.

We ended the night watching Stacy Keach, as Mike Hammer, get to the bottom of the murder of a cop. It was the first episode of 1997's syndicated, short-lived tv program, Mike Hammer, Private Eye.   
I enjoyed Foyle's War much much more than Mike Hammer, Private Eye; two very different programs with two very different sensibilities, but both featuring top notch actors, Michael Kitchen and Stacy Keach.


Stu offers a limerick looking at Kellogg's good neighbor, Smelterville:

We all know to party is fun.
And Smelterville knew how it's done.
Derby action, cars wreck,
Rodeo time what the heck?
And bars still open at rise of the sun.

No comments: