Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 04/07/20: Drive Through Banking, Flat Iron Steaks, *All the President's Men*, BONUS Stu's Limerick

1. Even though I never got out of the Sube, I strapped on my mask when I headed uptown to deposit our tax refunds in our Wells Fargo account. I want to make strapping on my mask when I leave the house a routine action, a habit. When it was my turn at the the drive through and the teller and I spoke on the little monitor, I removed my mask at that moment. I thought my voice would come through more clearly if I took it off.

When I ran errands yesterday, I thought it would be my last day out for a while, but I decided to get this one transaction completed at the bank. I know I'll have another errand coming up before too long because Debbie is going to have at least one more package to be mailed.

I washed my mask by hand right away when I returned home -- another habit I'm developing.

2. Back in the ever receding past, when we lived in Eugene, I used to regularly buy flat iron steaks at the Market of Choice. Debbie and I both enjoyed that these were small steaks and we enjoyed how they tasted. When we made a beef order nearly two years ago from a local rancher, the order included a package of flat iron steaks. Today, after thawing them overnight, I finally opened the package. To my delight and surprise, the package contained four steaks. I seasoned and fried two of them this evening. Debbie roasted some potatoes and made a cabbage salad. It was a simple and tasty meal and soon we'll repeat some of it because we have two more steaks in the ice box.

3. Debbie and I were watching an episode of Law and Order that featured Jane Alexander and said something about how much I loved her work, especially in All the President's Men. There was a pause. Then I wondered if Debbie would mind if we bagged Law and Order and watched All the President's Men instead.

"That's a great idea!"

It was awesome. So many aspects of this movie give me pleasure every time I see it: the location shots in Washington, D. C., the ensemble cast and the great work of every actor, the storytelling, the pace and suspense of the movie, all those rotary dial telephones(!), the writing -- I enjoy this movie as much as any I've ever seen. It kept me up later than usual and, although I was ready to hit the hay when it was over, I felt some urgings to go back to the beginning and watch it all again.

Watching it again together made for a superb party tonight. It was a blast.

Here's another limerick from Stu:

Spelling words proper is tough
And usage is easy to muff.
Whether to, too, or two,
Or even just blue or blew.
It's easy to mess up that stuff.


No comments: