Sunday, April 19, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 04/18/20: Walking to Avista, Dump Run, Yellow Shrimp Curry BONUS A Limerick by Stu

1. Often times -- and this is a flaw of mine -- to get myself out walking the streets of Kellogg, I need a task. Well, our gas/electric bill arrived and I decided to walk it over to the drop box at the local Avista office and then stop off at the liquor store and buy a fifth of George Dickel Rye. The walk felt really good and I welcomed breaking the inertia I've let myself succumb to while staying inside so much.

2. I have a semi-obsession with keeping our garage uncluttered so that a few things can be stored in it and there's always room for the Sube. Our cardboard box collection was starting to increase a bit and so I put them in the back of the Sube and headed out to the dump/transfer station to toss them in the cardboard recycling bin. Things were easy at the dump. I was one of three people getting rid of stuff. I was in and out in well under five minutes. It was a satisfying little trip.

3. I got out the Dutch oven, covered the bottom with an onion chopped up. In a bowl, I mixed two cans of coconut milk, two tablespoons of yellow curry paste, and two overflowing tablespoons each of soy sauce, fish sauce, and brown sugar. I poured this curry mixture over the onions, brought it to a slight boil, turned the heat way down, and let it slow cook until the onions were about tender.

I also made a pot of basmati rice.

After a while, I dumped frozen green beans into the curry and a little later put in a handful or so of thawed out pre-cooked shrimp. Once the green beans and shrimp were warmed through, Debbie and I were ready to pour the curry over rice and we agreed: it was really good. I was happy that the curry sauce was such a tasty blend of sweet, salty, and spicy -- these tastes were almost in balance. It's that good blend I always try to achieve.  One thing was missing: I didn't have cilantro on hand. So it goes...


April 19th is Garlic Day and Stu wrote a limerick:

Not everyone loves "stinking rose"!
Stinky breath, is just how it goes.
In food it is tasty,
Fights of vampires, skin pasty.
And is healthy as everyone knows!


No comments: