Thursday, April 30, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 04/29/20: *Chopped*, Turkey Noodles, Granola BONUS A Limerick by Stu

1. Debbie left the house today for a while to pay Carol and Paul a visit -- she's hardly seen them since she returned to Kellogg over a month ago. I had been working a couple of crossword puzzles and thinking about things and flipped on the television and saw that The Food Network was running a "Beat the Judge" episode on Chopped.  Three returning champions cooked against each other for two rounds and the survivor advanced to go up against the formidable Amanda Freitag. I enjoy Chopped the most when the judges cook. I am very partial to Chopped After Hours. I won't give away how this episode turned out. I'll just say that both Amanda Freitag and the cook she competed against faced a tough challenge when they only had a half an hour to prepare double pork chops.

2. That turkey breast bone yielded about four and a half quarts of stock. I strained the stock and put it in containers today. Debbie used some of it to make a batch of delicious turkey noodles. We have enough left over for another dinner -- so, I'm happy to say, this one turkey breast will have supplied Debbie and me with four meals and Christy and Everett with another.

3. Our granola supply needed to be replenished and so I combined oats, mixed nuts, vanilla extract, cinnamon, melted butter, honey, and maple syrup into a bowl, mixed them up, spread in on a ridged baking sheet and parchment paper, baked it at 350 for about 25 minuts and PRESTO! we have a new batch of granola. Each batch lasts about a week or so. It's a staple for Debbie and an occasional breakfast entree for me. I tend to eat hot cereal.


Here's another limerick by Stu:


It's normal with age you are told.
The "fix" many places are sold.
So buy you a "pair",
If they're dark will fight glare.
Who says you can't see when you're old?


No comments: