Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 04/13/20: Errands, Enjoying Christy's Sauce, Old TV Again BONUS A Limerick by Stu

1. I strapped on my mask and ventured out into the city today for a short while. I popped over to the recycling bins behind the Gondolier and dropped off some cans and plastic bottles, dropped a book into the outdoor bin at the library, and picked up some groceries at Yoke's. When sheltering in place began here in Idaho, a remodeling job had just begun at Yoke's. It's continued. The store looks a little better every week. I also made a quick stop at the liquor store to buy a fifth of E & J Brandy and a small bottle of Jagermeister. Ouzo isn't available in Kellogg and I'm looking for a something sort of similar. I've never tried Jagermeister and decided to give it a try.

2. Christy has been mining her freezer lately and she unearthed tomatoes and zucchini and decided to slow cook batches of garden tomato sauce. She gave us a jar and tonight Debbie combined Christy's sauce with bits of the meatloaft left over from last night and served it over penne pasta. I loved it, especially the way the pieces of meatloaf worked like meatballs in the sauce.

3.  While watching episodes of Green Acres, The Munsters, and The Andy Griffith tonight, I also broke open that little bottle of Jagermeister. My small hits from the bottle were all right, but I cannot and I will not think of it as a substitute for Ouzo. No problem. I'll look into this more and see if I can find something that is similar and see if it's available around here, and, when I feel okay about doing it and go to Total Wine again, I'll stock up a bit on Ouzo.

My favorite feature of the television shows from 50-65 years ago involves music and dance performances within some of the different shows. One of the episodes of Andy Griffith we watched tonight featured a character named Rafe Hollister, played by Jack Prince, who is an exquisite vocalist and wins an audition to sing at the Mayberry musicale. He wins the audition over Barney Fife. The judges stop Barney's audition halfway through his song, an occurrence that mercifully happens offstage. We get to hear Rafe Hollister sing three songs in this episode and it's sublime.


Here's another limerick by Stu:

What new could be said about beer?
We know "It's the Water" so clear.
"Refreshing" or "King",
"We've got the beer" people sing.
"Mountain Fresh", I don't care, bring some here.




No comments: