Friday, June 15, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 06/15/07: Past is Present, Shakespeare Heart, No Relief

1. The far south end of LCC's has a TV where students can relax. I came through that area and "I Love Lucy" was on the screen. I thought I was in kindergarten, spending the afternoon at Margarite Gallaher's being babysat in Smelterville. Then I came through again and there was Eddie Haskell on the screen and I thought I was in Kellogg at 14 E. Portland eating a bowl of popcorn with Mom and InlandEmpireGirl, laughing at the duplicitous Eddie hatching a plan of deceit with Wally. TV Land does its best to resist the arrival of the 21st century.

2. My. What a pleasure to read my Shakespeare students' finals as they write about comedy and tragedy in King Lear and The Tempest with the phrase "Out of the Heart of Darkness, Into the Heart of Light" as their prompt.

3. Detroit spanked the Phillies tonight, but Lord their relief pitching remains shaky. In the late innings I wondered if 12 runs was going to hold up! The Phillies kept chipping away, even when they were down 11-3 and 12-4, but, in the end, the Tigers held on. The Tigers sorely miss injured fireball reliever Joel Zumaya. Surely the Tigers can't depend on on scoring in double figures night after night. It's a beautiful thing when they do, but they are asking an awful lot of their offense. (But, then, so is division leader, Cleveland!)

2 comments:

Pinehurst in my Dreams said...

It's amazing what you can remember when prompted by early television. The same thing happens to me when I encounter certain smells and sounds, or songs.

The smell of Noxema reminds me of my favorite Grandma - Grandma Lewis, because she used it every night before she went to bed.

The sound of old sirens reminds me of my sister, R, running and hiding from the "AM-BLEE-UNS." She was always terrifed that they were coming to get her.

Pinehurst in my Dreams said...

AM-BLEE-UNCE(needed the ce on the end to get the sound right).