Sunday, April 27, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 04/26/14: Junk Food, Bookcases Out, Canadian Whiskey and Canada Dry

Before I start my list, I am disappointed to report that for the second straight weekend I decided to stick with the work that the Deke and I are doing around the house and so I missed the LCC production of A Midsummer Night's Dream.  I am at my best when I submit to the reality that I can't do everything. 

1.  Many of my friends are disciplined, especially when it comes to food.  These friends stick with vegan diets, gluten-free diets; they don't consume dairy products; they exercise regularly and have committed themselves to eating paleo style, or a variation upon it.  I'm not disciplined.  I'm not disciplined especially when my house is undergoing a thorough cleaning and sorting and packing.  I like comfort food when doing this work and today I went to Albertson's and bought a loaf of Italian hard crust bread (Should that be "Italian"?  I think so.), a half a pound of salami, a small block of sharp cheddar cheese, bags of potato chips, Cheetos, and tortilla chips, and salsa.  I bought a 12 pack of Coke. I bought a 12 pack of ginger ale.  It all worked.  After scrubbing base boards, walls, and moving furniture and doing other stuff, a slab of bread with salami and cheese and some potato chips and Coke raised my morale, made me feel pleasure, a pleasure I wanted and needed, and kept me going.  I don't know why I'm this way.

2.  Linda and Wayne came over and helped us out by taking three bookcases out of our house and home with them.  Totally a mutual benefit!  They were happy to have these bookcases and we are happy to have them go to a new home!

3.  Remember that ginger ale?  I had a plan.  In the late evening, after a day of cheap food and snacks, I took my bottle of cheap Canadian whiskey (McNoughton's) out, mixed it with Canada Dry ginger ale, and relaxed.  I did this twice.  It was the perfect cheap cocktail to bring a day of hard work and cheap food to an end. 

No comments: