Friday, May 22, 2015

Three Beautiful Things 05/21/15: Letterman and Hanks, The Liars Club, Beer Stop on the Train

1.  Since we don't have a television, I'm grateful that I could go online and see segments of the last couple of nights of David Letterman's late night program.  I especially enjoyed Tom Hanks' appearance and so I dove into the YouTube archives and watched more of his appearances over the years.  Maybe some one else did, but I am unaware of any one who freed up Tom Hanks and inspired him to be hilarious the David Letterman did.  It was a blast to watch as much of their many times on the show together as I did.

2.  In all of the stuff I read over the last couple of days about David Letterman's career, there was one omission:  his participation in the short-lived (and stupid) television game show, The Liars Club.  I occasionally watched The Liars Club back around 1976-77 or so. It was when I first saw David Letterman and he was the one panelist who was unforgettable to me.  Well, lo and behold, I found at least one, maybe two, videos of David Letterman appearances on the Liars Club and those early days of seeing him on t.v. all came back to me.  I really wish more of a record existed of his morning show on NBC.  It had a short run, but in the summer of 1980, I had mornings when I couldn't stop laughing at stuff he and his supporting cast did.  I especially remember getting a kick out of Rich Hall and Edie McClurg.

3.  Yeah, it's probably about an hour long ride to get there, and another hour back, but it excited me today when I figured out that the Twinbrook Metro Station on the Red Line is a mere seven minute walk from my favorite, so far, taproom in the MD suburbs of D. C., Gilly's Craft Beer and Wine Shop in Rockville.  I really like knowing that I can take the train to Gilly's, have a sandwich, try out a beer or two, maybe buy a few bottles, and not concern myself with driving home.  It's a win-win-win-win.

No comments: