Monday, May 25, 2015

Three Beautiful Things 05/24/15: Church with Adrienne, St. Andrew's Selfie, Speaking With Other Languages

1.  Originally, I planned to go to the 8:00 service at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in College Park, but as the time drew near to get cleaned up and take off, I was the only person in our apartment home awake, except Jack, and I stuck around to keep an eye on him and decided to go to the 10:30 service. No problem.  This definitely turned out to be "no problem" when Adrienne told me she'd like to go to church with me. This made me very happy and so we both got ourselves ready and headed out for the Pentecost Sunday service, a huge and wonderful and very upbeat day in the church calendar.

2.  As we walked closer to the church, Adrienne informed that we'd have to take a selfie outside the church.  I had no idea!  But, no problem, and here's the picture Adrienne snapped of us about to worship in celebration of the descent of the Holy Spirit, for many, the birthday of the church:



3.  When the descent of the Holy Spirit is described in the Book of Acts, we learn that many languages are spoken and, this morning, at St. Andrew's, the gospel reading from John was read in many languages ranging from French to Finnish to Hawaiian Pidgin English to English itself.  I'd never experienced this way of dramatizing the Pentecost before. It inspired and moved me.

No comments: