Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Three Beautiful Things 07/06/15: Up Early, Retirement at Martin Creek, Gin and Tonic Ends the Day

1.So Carol and Molly and I planned on leaving Kellogg at 7 a.m. to head up to Christy and Everett's to get their stuff loaded onto the U-Haul truck. I woke up in the basement, checked the clock, it read 5:30 and that seemed perfect -- time for some coffee, time to do some writing, time to put some ice on my sore heel.  I climbed upstairs and discovered the clock by my bed was wrong.  It wasn't 5:30 a.m. It was 4:30. Oh well.  Now I had an extra hour to get myself ready to head to Kettle Falls. This is the good life.

2. I laughed again today as I thought about my retirement in contrast to those retirement commercials on the television.  Today, did the Deke and I toast each other with a midnight glass of champagne as the moon rose over Cancun? Did I go on yet another best buddy golf trip to a destination golf course? Did I attend night after night of musical theater on Broadway?  No. Ha! Today, I was near Kettle Falls, WA at Martin Creek.  The temperature rose into the mid-90s. I helped haul boxes and tables and bookshelves and the gas bbq and tables and chairs and admired Paul as he put his mad U-Haul arranging skills to work and we got almost everything on the U-Haul truck, into Everett's pick-up, into Carol's car, and into Christy's car. Did we get everything moved to Kellogg? Not quite. I have another destination moving trip in my near future.  Christy, Everett, and I will make another trip on Wednesday to load a U-Haul trailer and Everett's truck. We're getting there. This is the good life.

3. We returned to Kellogg. Christy picked up an order at Panda Express in CdA, and we feasted on it at Mom's and, while we were not seated around a beach fire at Turks and Caicos, Christy, Carol, Paul, and I did sit in camp chairs in Christy's unlit new living room and ended our day of work with gin and tonic, drunk out of red Solo cups, a day of good work behind us and with unloading the truck lying just twelve hours in our future.  This is the good life!

No comments: