Thursday, October 25, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 10/24/18: Support Team Commitments, *Big Burn* and *Hired Gun*, Red Sox Win

1. Christy, Carol, the Deke and I met this morning in our living room to discuss their roles as members of my first string support team in case a kidney becomes available and I go in for a transplant. They each have a good understanding of what their responsibilities would be for transporting me, monitoring me after the surgery, adhering to my strict medication regimen, keeping records of my weight, blood pressure, pulse, fluid intake and output, among other things. They all signed on and now I'll return the signed forms to Sacred Heart.

2. I love watching poker on the 24 hour World Poker Tour channel on PlutoTV (on online television channel) and I thought today that maybe I'm watching it a little too much. I am completely crappy as a poker player, but I love the drama of watching Texas Hold 'Em and the WPT features the insightful and very entertaining commentary and analysis of Mike Sexton and Vince Van Patten.

OK. Guilty pleasure confessed.

Today I steered away from poker and dove a little deeper than usual into Amazon Prime's offerings and came upon the hour long documentary, The Big Burn, based on Timothy Egan's book of the same title, and a look at the impact of the Great Fire of 1910, which burned over 3 million acres of forest land in Western Montana, and North Idaho and extended into southern British Columbia, and Eastern Washington, on the early days of the Forest Service and our national attitudes about wildfires. Ed Polaski's story was prominent, as was Gifford Pinchot's.

After watching Game 2 of the World Series, I returned to Amazon Prime and watched , Hired Gun, a documentary about session musicians in the world of rock and pop music. I welcomed the emphasis the movie put on heavy metal drummers, bassists, and guitar players and enjoyed hearing an assortment of these players talk about the hard work they put into developing their craft. In addition, if you'd like to learn more about how cutthroat the world of recording and concerts is in the world of pop music and rock n roll, this movie explores that angle of the music industry as well.

3. Adding strong pitching and some stellar defense to their relentless hitting, the Red Sox scored three runs with two outs in the bottom of the fifth inning to defeat the Dodgers 4-2 in Game 2 of the World Series. The Red Sox knack for scoring with two outs is impressive enough, but tonight's win also featured great pitching as David Price gave the Sox six strong innings and, he, along with three Red Sox relievers, retired the last 16 Dodgers in a row.

No comments: