Saturday, October 27, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 10/26/18: Sprinklers Put to Rest, Crab Stock Chowder, Marathon Game 3

1. I held off on going out into the world and running some errands until Randy, the sprinkler technician from Artscape Landscaping came by to finish the job he started Thursday of blowing out the sprinkler system now that summer is over. He had come on Wednesday when I was on my trip to Rathdrum and Coeur d'Alene and hadn't been able to come in the house and turn off the system's water. He arrived today shortly before noon and I had a question or two about the sprinkler's water valve and, after he left, I wrote a note to refer to in the spring reminding of what he told me and taped it to the valve.

2. The other day, I thawed two quarts of crab stock I made earlier this year.  Today, I consulted some recipes and thought I would use the stock to make a tilapia chowder. While shopping at Yoke's for a couple of ingredients I needed, I suddenly thought that since I was using crab stock for this chowder, and, since I'm cutting back on my consumption of animal protein, I would use cauliflower instead of fish. Back home, using a Rachael Ray recipe, here, as a guide, I cooked a chopped onion, four chopped garlic cloves, and some chopped baby rainbow carrots in the Dutch oven and, when they were tender, I added in a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes, chopped potatoes and cauliflower, and the crap stock and brought it to a boil and then let it simmer for as long as it took for the potatoes and cauliflower to get soft, but not mushy. I like Old Bay Seasoning so I added some of it and a moderate amount of salt to the chowder.  As this soup bubbled away, I realized that I wanted to thicken it, so I added just over a quarter of a cup of heavy whipping cream into the broth and this made the chowder mine (not Rachael Ray's!), made it what I had imagined I wanted when I started.

The crab stock made the chowder taste like the ocean and I really liked it as an otherwise vegetarian concoction and I was much happier with it as a cream soup rather than the brothy chowder Rachael Ray laid out. The chowder was tasty, warming, and comforting, a good meal to eat while watching the early innings of the Game 3 of the World Series.

3. Game 3 of the 2018 World Series developed into the longest World Series game in Major League Baseball history. It lasted eighteen innings. It took seven hours and twenty minutes. This game was so long, it outlasted the contract my internet television provider has with somebody and I lost television coverage at 11:00, about six hours in. I immediately cried out to Alexa: "Alexa, play ESPN Radio", and Alexa complied and I listened to the rest of the game on the radio, a pleasure, especially with Dan Shulman calling the play by play with analysis by Chris Singleton.

My enjoyment of the game was enhanced by texting back and forth with Byrdman and Cas as the contest continued deep into the night.

If you hadn't heard, the Dodgers won this sometimes magnificent, sometimes ugly test of endurance by a score of 3-2 when Max Muncy powered a home run to left center field off of Boston's workhorse pitcher Nathan Eovaldi.

I am eager to see what happens in Game 4. Both teams, but especially the Red Sox, depleted their pitching staffs. Who will even start Game 4 for Boston? Sales on short rest? Not David Price. Certainly not Nathan Eovaldi. Will Alex Cora run out Drew Pomeranz, who hasn't pitched in the entire month of October? By managing so aggressively to win this game and go up 3-0 in the Series, did Cora exhaust the Red Sox pitching staff and put his team in peril?

Did the tide of this World Series turn toward the Dodgers in Game 3 -- after I'd heard so many say the Dodgers were in danger of being swept in four straight by the Red Sox?

I don't know. But, I'll tune in tonight, hoping Game 4 doesn't run past 11:00 and that I'll get to watch the whole game on television! (I did, however, enjoy the radio broadcast, so losing television coverage wasn't so bad.)

No comments: