Monday, October 8, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 10/07/18: Completing a Sibling Assignment, Family Dinner, Baseball at the Lounge

1. For several hours, I went through folders of pictures I had taken during autumn over the years in New York, Kellogg, Greenbelt, Washington D. C., and Eugene. In one of our latest Sibling Assignments, Carol asked my sisters and me to create a slide show of fall images accompanied by Vivaldi's Autumn. I enjoyed looking back at walks around Greenbelt Lake, visits to the Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens, multiple photo walks around Eugene, good times in Kellogg, and at one of my favorite days ever on the Appalachian Trail in New York. I didn't really synchronize the music with the images. I had spent all the energy I was going to spend looking for pictures and choosing the ones to use. If you'd like to view my slide show, just click here and in my post you'll also find links to Carol's slideshow and to Christy's.

2. Carol cooked a most delicious family dinner tonight featuring Maple Glazed Chicken Thighs with chopped up butternut squash, cabbage salad, and seed bread with cheese spread. I enjoyed it through and through. Carol made Keto Old Fashions as a pre-dinner cocktail, a most refreshing and flavorful drink.

3. After dinner and some table conversation, I accepted an invitation to watch the Dodgers and Braves with Cas and Seth on the excellent television system at the Inland Lounge. The Lounge was closed, so we had the place to ourselves. By arriving to the game late, I missed a ton of action. The Dodgers had come from behind to tie the game 5-5 and I missed Freddie Freeman's home run to break the tie and, as it turned out, win the game. Even though I missed all the great action, I had fun talking baseball with Cas and Seth and enjoyed the drama of the Dodgers as they tried to mount one more comeback, but fell short.

By the way, when I returned home from the Lounge, I watched a Golf Channel documentary entitled  Famous Five: it features European golfers Ian Woosnam, Nick Faldo, Sandy Lyle, Seve Ballesteros, and Bernhard Langer, all born within eleven months of each other, and, together, responsible for transforming professional golf in Europe and for ending the USA's domination of the Ryder Cup and helping set in motion not only the current European domination, but also the keen interest among golf fans in the Ryder Cup, a competition which had fallen into near irrelevance until it was changed in 1979 from a US vs UK competition to match putting the US up against Europe.

For those of you who love golf and its history, if you can track down this Golf Channel film, do so.

No comments: