Friday, January 12, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 01-11-2024: No 4th of July Pass Today, Shoveling Snow, Fixing Pasta with Zucchini and Bacon

1. Well, Christy and I had plans to blast over to CdA together this morning. I'd go to the rehab gym. She would go to the Verizon store. Thankfully, we both agreed to take the advice of several people who braved the 4th of July Pass and posted online something to the effect of "If you don't have to go over the Pass, stay home!" My days of sledding over that hill no matter what are long gone. I burned calories shoveling snow and Christy took care of her business with Verizon online. 

2. I would much rather shovel more than once than wait for the snow to subside and do one big shovel. This approach worked beautifully today. Both times I shoveled, the snow was not very deep and, it being chilly out, it was light snow. Mission accomplished. 

3. I was in the mood today to fix a spaghetti meal for dinner. We had a couple zucchinis in the fridge and so I went to the NYTimes food section and found a recipe for Creamy Zucchini and Bacon Pasta. I could tell the recipe wouldn't be difficult to make and I imagined it making a tasty meal.

I was right!

I cut up slices of bacon and cooked them, put them on a plate atop a paper towel, and poured the fat into a measuring cup. I returned half of the fat to the skillet and sautéed finely chopped onion and half the zucchini I'd sliced in the bacon grease. After a few minutes, I added minced garlic and put the cooked zucchini, onion, and garlic in a bowl and repeated this process with the rest of the zucchini, onion, and garlic. 

I was boiling spaghetti at the same time. When the second zucchini batch was done, I returned the first batch to the skillet and added butter and the juice of half a lemon and stirred it up.

Once I drained the spaghetti, I returned it to the Dutch oven, poured the zucchini mixture over it along with more butter, the juice of another half a lemon, and a cup of pasta water. I stirred this altogether for a couple of minutes until the liquid thickened and coated the pasta. I then folded a cup of grated Parmigiana Reggiano cheese into the spaghetti. It was ready to eat. 

I served Debbie and me each a bowl of the pasta, topped with the bacon bits that started this whole process.

It worked! And, as a bonus, we had plenty left over for Debbie's lunch tomorrow and to snack on another time.  



No comments: