Sunday, January 28, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 01-27-2024: Finally -- the Resistance Machines, Crosswords with Copper, Spanish Rice and Two Conversion Experiences

1. I finished working three puzzles and blogging this morning and dashed out to Smelterville. I put a playlist called "Cream Radio" on and did cardio exercises for 70 minutes. I had hoped to also work a bit on the resistance machines and I did. I left myself time to work my abs and my back. Had the gym not been closing at noon, I would have done more and that's the plan going forward -- to give myself enough time for exercise on the cardio machines and the resistance machines. (The rehab gym in CdA only has cardio machines. If my will is strong enough and I figure out an eating schedule,  I will follow up my CdA workouts with resistance work in Smelterville.) 

2. Back home, I realized that I had fallen a day behind in completing NYT's crossword puzzles. I was kind of stoked because the Friday and Saturday puzzles are the most challenging and I knew I had good, mind bending session ahead of me. 

I do these puzzles online, so I took my laptop into the bedroom and spent a great stretch of time keeping Copper company. I swear. Along with food and water, company is all he really wants (well, and he'd love to go outside) and I loved how he relaxed into deep contentment and fell into some periods of deep sleep while we were together. 

3. A month ago, when our family enjoyed a Basque Christmas dinner, Debbie's contribution was Spanish rice. She made it from a Basque recipe Carol sent her. 

Today, because we still had some of the ingredients left over from that dinner, Debbie made this dish again for our supper tonight. 

It was awesome. 

She used beef chorizo that was perfectly seasoned it and of itself and it paired perfectly with the dish's smoky bacon. I am almost certain that the chorizo's seasonings included paprika, a spice I wasn't that fond of in recent years, but tonight I experienced a total turnaround. I loved the paprika and I think I'm back on board the paprika express. Just for the record, I've recently experienced a similar turnaround with green onions. For years, yes, YEARS, I was indifferent about green onions and only bought and used them if a recipe called for them. But this past month, I've come not just to like green onions, but love them, and I include them every time I make myself a green salad (which is almost every day after I exercise) and those little scallions delight me.  

No comments: