Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 02-09-2024: Good Roads and A Year of Living Tumultuously, Plateaus, A Favorite Spaghetti Dinner

1. Since moving back to Kellogg, I no longer have much of what it takes to drive on snowy or icy roads. If I have to, I will, but it's not like when I was younger and drove on winter roads without a second thought. So, this morning, if driving condition between Kellogg and Coeur d'Alene looked at all dicey, I was ready to call into the rehab gym and cancel my appointment. 

The driving conditions, however, were almost ideal. Yes, wet. Yes, a bit slushy. Overall, though, the roads were free of snow, traction was reliable, and I breezed over the pass and arrived in CdA in plenty of time to pick up a couple of things at Pilgrim's and meet my appointment at the gym. I-90 was even better on my return drive. 

Back in the spring of 1982, I spent a lot of time listening to The Alan Parsons Project's album, Eve. The year 1982 was tumultuous for me, a combination of exciting academic success and utter failure in my life at home as everything there disintegrated into divorce. The album brings back a lot of memories, both enjoyable and difficult, and also calls up much deep gratitude I feel to this day for friends who were supportive and sympathetic to my situation and who joined me in having some really fun times. 

2. During my workout in CdA, staff member, Claudia, and I discussed what she called my "weight loss journey". I've lost some weight, slowly, and we discussed how to work through a plateau when the weight loss levels out. She advised me to add some variety to my workouts in Smelterville and so I'll start doing some exercising on the weight/resistance machines. I had done a bit of reading about "plateauing" and Claudia's insights and recommendations were in sync with what the Mayo Clinic published about this issue. 

3. Tonight, thanks to our HelloFresh shipment, Debbie and I enjoyed what's become an old favorite dinner: Lemony Spaghetti with Brussels Sprouts Sprinkled with Toasted Panko and Chives. Debbie wondered if this were a meal I could fix on my own, without the HelloFresh bag. HelloFresh provides a packet of cheese roux and if I can learn how to make that on my own (I haven't looked into it yet), then, yes, I can definitely recreate this delicious meal. 

No comments: