Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 01-16-2024: Clear Roads to the Rehab Gym, My Salad Experiment Worked, Awesome Buffalo Wings

1. The cold snap we shivered through over the weekend was dry (unlike in Eugene -- OMG!). Consequently, the freeway from Kellogg to CdA was in perfect condition and I was very happy, once I deiced the interior windshield of the Sube, to drive easily to the rehab gym and have a good workout at 11:00 this morning. Once again, The Oysterband's album, Ride, energized me, helped my mind wander with delight through the more demanding phases of my exercise, and I left the gym feeling renewed.

2. Back home, I decided to take the leftover penne from Sunday's dinner and layer it on the bottom of one of our larger serving bowls, I topped it with the last of the combination of beef barley mushroom soup and Bloody Bull mix, cold, and on top of that I built a green salad dressed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. 

It was an unorthodox salad, to be sure, but did it ever work! 

3. I am kind of crazy about the new cookbook, Small Plates, that Adrienne gave us for Christmas. For a couple of days, I've had my eye on its recipe for Oven-Baked Buffalo Wings and tonight I made them. All I had to do was put baking powder coated party wings on a wire rack sitting on a foil covered rimmed baking sheet and roast the chicken pieces for about 30-35 minutes at 475 degrees, turning them over halfway through. Then I turned on the broiler and broiled both sides of the party wings, about two minutes per side.

In the meantime, I had whisked together Frank's Original Hot Sauce, molasses, and a chunk of butter in a bowl. When I took the chicken out of the oven, I tossed the pieces in the sauce I'd made and Debbie and I devoured every delicious piece of chicken, along with eating an assortment of raw vegetables. 

The molasses added depth and richness to the chicken. Debbie and I also thought it just slightly mellowed the heat of the hot sauce. I mean the wings were spicy, but not fiery, and we thought America's Test Kitchen's idea to include a tablespoon of molasses in the sauce worked beautifully. 

No comments: