Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Three Beautiful Things 08-04-2026: Delay, Invigoration, Rapport

 1. Christy went into AFib in pre-op this afternoon and the surgery team decided to proceed with great caution and postponed her hip replacement surgery. It's now scheduled for Friday. A cardiologist will visit Christy in her hospital room. She's now hooked up to a heart monitor -- the early readings have been solid. Christy has never been in AFib before and the EKGs she had taken in the days since she was admitted to the hospital last Friday showed no problems. Today's did, however, and we are hoping she'll be back to a good heartbeat and ready for surgery on Friday. 

2. Smoke-filled skies. Reduced visibility. Northwest Spokane a natural disaster area. Did I want to go to Auntie's Bookstore downtown for our six o'clock book group meeting. 

I decided to go.

I made the right decision in a huge way. The discussion of Is a River Alive invigorated me. I felt free to share some of my thoughts. I was especially stimulated by our discussion of questions around different ways of arriving at knowledge, different views of reality, how humans decide what's ethical, and how all of these questions can be seen as applying to whether a river is alive. 

3. On my way back to Kellogg, I visited Christy and am happy to say he was resting comfortably (especially once a couple of nurses repositioned her in bed), appears to be feeling patient about the delay, and is full of hope that the surgery will happen on Friday. 

I've been in Christy's room when several different nurses and other pros have come to see her and Christy gets along really well with all of them. They are willing and able to answer the questions she and the rest of us have. 

It's encouraging to witness such excellent rapport. 

No comments: