Saturday, August 8, 2026

Three Beautiful Things 08-07-2026: Christy's Surgery a Success, Dizziness, Riley Hangs in There

 1. As it turned out, Christy's surgery took place around 7:30 as originally planned. The post-op news was all good and Christy returned to the room she's been in since leaving ICU. I arrived to visit Christy around 2:00. Paul and Carol arrived soon after that. Christy had eaten. She was animated and chatty. She also articulated a clear understanding of what had happened earlier in the day. 

Her pain levels seemed low to moderate and when she messaged me this morning (Saturday), she told me she was wound up overnight, making it a challenge to sleep, but she had, and I quote Christy, "not much pain". 

2. Friday afternoon, Paul, Carol, and I left her room when her positive-minded, invigorated, wide smiling Physical Therapist arrived. Christy messaged me after their session that she got up out of bed all right, but became dizzy, so they cut the session short. It's common, I later read, for blood pressure to drop some after surgery, and it was low blood pressure that caused Christy's dizziness. 

3. Usually, during this time of Christy's hospitalization, Riley spends the nights at Carol and Paul's house. But, the Barnes family is staying at Carol and Paul's with their dogs, so Riley is at his house both Friday and Saturday night. 

I sat with Riley for about an hour and a half this evening and completed the Saturday New York Times crossword puzzle. Riley rested comfortably. I hope he had a good night's sleep after I left.  

No comments: