1. If you read this blog even somewhat regularly, you know that Christy's had a difficult summer: visits to ER, going into septic shock, time in the ICU, a hip replacement, and hours of rehab (which continues).
Understandably, our weekly family dinners have been on hold.
Today, we returned to the family dinner table at Carol and Paul's and enjoyed marinated beef kebobs, grilled summer squash, grilled corn on the cob, cucumbers and tomatoes in vinegar and oil, a potato, green bean, mushroom, and bacon side dish, fruit salad, and snickerdoodle cookies with Butter Pecan ice cream.
The late afternoon temperature was moderate, allowing us to dine outdoors.
Christy's recovery requires us to work together on scheduling who is doing what when with Christy and we reviewed what's coming up and everything is in place for helping Christy get to her appointments and shuttle back and forth between her house and Carol and Paul's.
2. An update regarding Copper: he held his ground today. His day was very similar to the last couple of days. He's drinking water, has no appetite for food, is properly using the litter box, and goes back and forth between lying behind the chair I'm sitting in now in the Vizio room and a place he's found to hide and lie down in the bedroom closet. Sometimes he returns to the towel on the floor he enjoys lying on in the bathroom. He does a little more wandering during the night -- I don't know this, but I think he's confused by no longer being able to jump on the bed. When I pick him up and put him on the bed, though, he doesn't stay long and retreats to one of his hiding places.
3. One of the facts about being 72 years old is that ideas I worked with, say in the 1990s and early 2000s, whether in my work at LCC or as a member of St. Mary's Episcopal Church, are no longer fresh in my mind. Carol, Paul, and I talked for a while after dinner tonight about philosophical and theological movements, eras, writers, and ideas and my mind went back to ideas Rita and I introduced to our Philosophy/English Composition in the 1990s. My mind also went back to lectures I attended given by theological scholars like Marcus Borg, Houston Smith, Karen Armstrong, John Dominic Crossan, and John Spong.
Tonight, fragments of those thinkers' ideas and fragments of the philosophy material Rita and I assigned began to rise up in my mind, but, unlike about twenty years ago when all of this was fresh in my mind and my memory was sharper, tonight I got some things right, forgot other things, and made mistakes.
I've been spending time this morning (it's Monday) fact checking myself, reviewing thinkers we talked about, and working to get things straightened out in my mind.
I enjoy recovering these days from my past and am enjoying that much of this work to recover what used to be at the front of my mind instead of being in storage has been inspired by what I'm reading and have read as a new member of the Science/Nature Book Club at Auntie's Bookstore.
Science. Nature. Philosophy. Theology. World religions. They're all connected to each other.
No comments:
Post a Comment