Saturday, August 8, 2026

Three Beautiful Things 08-08-2026: Visiting Christy, Morning Housework, Learning to Enjoy Delays and Slow Travel on I-90

 1. I arrived at Kootenai Health soon after 1:00 and Christy had just finished lunch. Immediately, I observed she had better color in her face. That was good! She's being medicated at regular intervals for pain and as the time drew near for each of her pain pills this afternoon, taken an hour apart, her pain grew. 

Christy knew at some point today she would have a session with a Physical Therapist. When I left the hospital around 4:00, the therapist hadn't visited yet and Christy really needed exercise. 

A therapist, accompanied by a student nurse, arrived sometime after 8 p.m., thank goodness, and Christy messaged me that she was pleased with the exercises the therapist put her through and she told me she learned a lot as the therapist was teaching the student nurse. During these in bed exercises,  Christy experienced, in her words, minimal pain. 

It's Christy's understanding that after being in bed most of today, she will be helped out of bed Sunday morning. 

I don't know if she'll have added PT later in the day. 

I'll find out when I visit on Sunday. 

2. I didn't go over to CdAlene in the morning because I took care of some domestic tasks: laundering my over a dozen pairs of compression socks, cooking chickpeas in preparation for making more black olive hummus, laundering towels, and cleaning up the kitchen some more -- this kitchen clean up never seems to end. 

3. I listen to Sirius/XM's classical music channel, Symphony Hall, on my drives to Coeur d'Alene and back. Because of a few stretches of one lane highway in both directions, travel over the 4th of July Pass can be very slow and is a source of much consternation and complaining locally. 

I've decided to make the most of these delays by enjoying the additional amount of music I can listen to as I crawl over the pass. Luckily, I'm not on a pressing time schedule, so I have the luxury of turning what could be a frustrating, even maddening, slow drive into a source of enrichment and enjoyment. 

No comments: