Monday, August 31, 2026

Three Beautiful Things 08-31-2026: Books, Correspondence, Soup

 1. I'm in a splendid phase of my reading life right now, reading books that I never would have read, except -- well, let me explain. Over the weekend, I finished Josh Brolin's memoir, Under the Truck, which I never would have read except Shelley gave me this book at Bruce Larsen's memorial because I had mentioned enjoying him when he was interviewed on the Criterion Channel and Shelley read about that in this blog. 

This weekend, I finished reading The Birds that Audubon Missed and l never would have read this book had Debbie and I not joined the Science/Nature Book Club at Auntie's Bookstore. Now I've read six books I never would have read thanks to being a part of this group. 

And now I'm starting Kendra Langford Shaw's novel The Pillager's Guide to Arctic Pianos thanks to having gone to Spokane this summer to hear her interviewed in the Northwest Passages series. I've enjoyed the first fifty or so pages a lot, especially as I marvel, page after page, at Kendra Langford Shaw's vivid imagination. Yes, there is such a place as the Arctic, but in this book she creates a world with place names that are imagined, writes about events that she invented, and has her characters doing things that fit perfectly in the world she's created, but did not happen in the historically documented world of the Arctic that lies outside her imagination. 

When I read or watch movies, I never say such and such could never happen or this or that is not believable. 

I read and watch movies as a believer. (Guess I'm a Monkees reader and movie viewer!)

2. I continued to send out emails and text messages today, doing my best to get caught up in correspondence. I'm still behind. 

3. Onion. Celery. Mushrooms. Zucchini. Broccoli. Frozen raw shrimip. Chicken broth. Old Bay Seasoning. Basmati rice. Salt. Pepper. 

I enjoyed a simple soup for dinner tonight. 

No comments: