Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Three Beautiful Things 06/09/09: Blueberry Doughy, Cleaned and Polished, Photo Surprises


1. Back in 1985, 86, on into 87 I frequented the Keystone Cafe on 5th and Lawrence a few times a week. Today I ate breakfast at the Keystone for the first time in, oh, I'd say at least ten years. The old place has been favorably spiffed up a bit, the counter seating reduced, and the menu is very much the same. I ordered an old favorite: oatmeal sesame pancake with blueberries and pure maple syrup. A new cook prepared my pancake and undercooked it. The pancake was edible, but a doughy, not as good as it could have been. The cafe owner only charged me half and explained that the cook was learning his way with pancakes. I'll go back. I love the oatmeal sesame blueberry pancake so much that I want to come back and have one cooked up right.

2. Chris, the dental hygienist, kept asking me today if I was okay and apologized for how long it was taking to get a full range of X-rays done. Finally, I told her that as an old codger I'd been going to the dentist for fifty years now and that contemporary dentistry is such an improvementn over what I endured fifty years ago that I enjoyed having dental work done. It's true. My visits to the dentist are pleasant and painless. I'm staggered by how little I dread going to the dentist after years of fear and trembling in my youth.

3. I continue to organize, file, and label photographs and was especially happy with this picture of my mother, taken Thanksgiving morning, 2008, at my sister's house.

1 comment:

MarmiteToasty said...

The photo of your mum is a photo of happy contentment... its a beautiful picture..

x