Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 08/29/07: PalouseIdaho, Stuffed Biscuits, PalouseWashington

1. I went to Moscow today to help Kenton Bird give a presentation on the Silver Valley. The drive from Kellogg to Moscow was exquisite. I'm starting to think that I love the drive from Rose Lake to Potlatch, via St. Maries, as much or more than any drive in the country. The drive from Moscow to Plummer is a close second. Today, the wheat fields in the Palouse looked illuminated. I've never seen such shining.

2. Kenton and I ate lunch with Elinor Michel at the Breakfast Club, the former Knobby Inn. What a delightful restaurant. It's a lunch and breakfast spot with a creative menu, friendly and efficient service, and good food. I can see why it was doing a brisk business yesterday.

3. Kenton and I presented some history and observations of the Silver Valley to Rula Awwad-Rafferty's Interior Design class to help them prepare for a project at Bankleft in Palouse, Washington. I hope we helped them out. I'd sure like to think that they might look to this Palouse project with the idea of discovering what central images and ideas define the town. Moreover, in what ways is Palouse a microcosm of the larger world? I think, in some ways, Kenton and I were able to explain ways that Kellogg and the Silver Valley are concentrated pictures for the world at large and how the events in the Silver Valley's history are inextricably tied to the events of the larger world.

2 comments:

Sam said...

Great to hear about Kenton again! He was a fantastic School of Journalism and Mass Media director when I was at UI. It probably helped me that I was from the Silver Valley and he knew my family - including my crazy mother hahaha.

Pinehurst in my Dreams said...

I'll bet your presentation was interesting. I would have enjoyed hearing how you related the history of the Silver Valley to the history of the world.