Friday, August 17, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 08/17/07: Idaho Heaven, Idaho White Pine, Idaho Tower

1. There is this spot on Highway 3 where the Kootenai and Benewah County lines meet. It's perched above farmland, fresh cut hay, Chatcolet Lake in the distance, and the Bitterroot mountains way to the east. It's the perfect blend of farm, water, mountain, pine trees, birch, cottonwoods, all stretching below this gentle grade. This spot gave me goosebumps today.

2. At the Giant White Pine Campground, I suddenly realized that this would be a perfect spot to bring Snug and do some hiking and then later, at the Laird Park Campground, I discovered there's a swimming spot for dogs and I'd like to see what Snug thinks of it.

3. I really enjoyed looking up at the I tower at the University of Idaho from close to the vantage point where we could see it from the front of the house Mom rented in the summer of 1966 as she finished her BS degree.

2 comments:

Pinehurst in my Dreams said...

Ah, just to think that's a view my youngest sees everyday. It kind of brings the past into the future.

MGM said...

This produces many flashbacks of an angst-ridden time in my past that I lived in Moscow and worked at the U of I. Both good and bad memories. The Coeur d'Alene pics produce an equally emotional response, but the angst in my life at that point was overshadowed by the beauty of the scenery and the breathtaking summers I spent camping and hiking in the wilderness near Bonners Ferry at the top of snow capped mountains in July, fishing for brook trout in deserted mountain lakes and praying for no visits from the grizzly bears recently sighted there while I pitched a tent to camp with an old sweetheart. *sigh* I often wish I were still there.