Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 08/14/07: Coco Loud and Clear, 2007: Looking Back, Mowing

1. Today I sat in Kellogg, Idaho, with Mom, and via a live online video stream from Boise's KTVB, watched my niece Coco ask four of the Endeavour astronauts how long they had wanted to be astronauts. Let me make sure you read this correctly. Coco, an eleven-year-old sixth grader, spoke live from earth to space to four members of the Endeavour crew. Mom and I watched this momentous occasion and she captured it on videotape at her house. Coco was one of eighteen students chosen in the state of Idaho to participate. Idaho's application to host this Space Day event was one of many applications NASA received from across the country. Barbara Morgan, one of the astronauts, was a school teacher in McCall, Idaho and so Idaho's having been chosen held special significance.

2. I would have to day, that at the end of 2007, if I decide to go back and write the Three Beautiful Things for the calendar year, Coco talking live to astronauts is definitely the current front runner for most beautiful thing of the year.

3. Not long after watching Coco speak to the astronauts, I mowed Mom's lawn.

4 comments:

Christy Woolum said...

Okay... you have done the mowing and the compost digout.... what will be left for me? Washing down the kitchen walls? lol

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! Congratulations to your niece and the whole family. Wish I was there in Kellogg where it gets cool at night. Been 100's down here in the south for 2 weeks!

Pinehurst in my Dreams said...

What a great day in history for your family!

Christy Woolum said...

Are the walls washed in the kitchen?