Monday, August 27, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 08/26/07: Photo Hunt, Sudden Life, Brain Drain

1. All I need is another blogging activity. I already do a weekly Sunday Scribblings post and a weekly Sibling Assignment. I've decided to give Photo Hunt a try. Read more about it here.

2. Silver Valley Girl's family took a short overnight to Syme's Hot Springs in Montana and I was in charge of the house while they were gone. SVG left me a message saying they'd be back late tonight. They got back early and suddenly my quiet, peaceful existence ended as my nieces argued over who got to go on the computer and discussions broke out about dead batteries in mobile phones and dogs barked with joy at the family's return and new dispatches came from the basement that Benjamin had peed on an extension cord. The buzz of activity was good. My slothful rest on the sofa ended and I felt a shot of joy and stimulation.

3. Andy Kemp, a very young and energetic instructor in speech and Lane Community College's forensics coach sent out a mass email today announcing he'd taken a position at Hutchinson Community College in Kansas. For many reasons, it's a good move for him. I will miss him, but I'm very happy for him that he found another job, will be closer to the love of his life, and that he will be directing forensics in his new job. Above all, I'm afraid my place of employment is a good place to leave for a young instructor. The economic uncertainty at the college, coupled with a State Legislature that seems to take glee in dismantling the state's proud tradition in sound community colleges, means that the brain drain from Eugene continues.

2 comments:

Hope said...

It all cycles. We're just in a dip right now; near the bottom I hope and the upswing is soon to come.

Pinehurst in my Dreams said...

Maybe you need to elect legislators that were educated at the Community Colleges - or maybe just educated. . .