Saturday, February 5, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 02/04/11: Christopher Sly, Lost in Translation, Roxy Grace Music Jones

1.  I was cast today to play in LCC's production of "Taming of the Shrew".  I'll be Christopher Sly.  I have a lot of work and play ahead of me as I go to work building this character.  I love to be directed and I'm really looking forward to working with Sparky to bring this drunken sop, this sod, this gull to life. He's the dope for whom the play is being performed -- really, as a practical joke. 

2.  It's not going to be much help in playing Christopher Sly, but being named to the cast today got me thinking about what actor, about my age, I most wish I could be like and it's not even close:  Bill Murray.  I'm thinking of Bill Murray in "Rushmore", "Hamlet", "The Royal Tenenbaums", and especially, "Lost in Translation".   Over and over this evening I played the karaoke scene from "Lost in Translation", when Bill Murray sings Roxy Music's "More Than This", and watched other clips and stills from "Lost in Translation".  For me, no one has ever played a man being awoken out of middle-aged angst, alienation, and somnolence better than Bill Murray.

3. Thanks to my FB pal Carrie out in Massachusetts, I treated myself to a mini Roxy Music concert on YouTube!  "More Than This".  "Love is the Drug".  "Slave to Love" and then, a Grace Jones cover of  "Love is the Drug" and I ended the show with Grace Jones' "Pull Up to the Bumper".  

No comments: