Saturday, February 19, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 02/18/11: Doing My Job, Stirred, Black and Tan

1.  I have to believe I'm helping students write more truthfully, helping them sort things out, helping them structure their insights and the stories and reading that support their insights.  Today I thought to myself, "Yes.  I'm doing my job.  I'm helping students examine their reading, their own experience, and their insights.  I never know if my way of helping students write and my ways of helping build their confidence is sound in terms of how the institutions of our department, the college, the state, and the assessment machine(s) seem to want things done.  That's abstract.  What I experience with my students is actual, immediate, even visceral.  I like it.

2.  Siskanna's depth of feeling at our meeting today stirred me.

3. I stayed at school later than usual, went straight to Sparky's for rehearsal, made some very modest contributions, and then went to Albertson's and bought some Guiness Stout and Bass Ale and enjoyed one relaxing and deeply satisfying Black and Tan.

No comments: