Saturday, February 19, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 02/17/11: Authentic Writing, Meetin' the Deke, Deep Sleep

1.  Conferences with my writing students went into overdrive today.  I started at 7:30 a.m. and my last conference ended at 3:00 and, once again, I tried to help my students give shape to a wide variety of perspectives on happiness and a wide variety of experiences that have shaped their thinking and feeling about happiness.  One of my enduring joys as a teacher of writing is that I do all in my power not to impose my views upon my students and so I read papers that are, as best I can tell, honest, unafraid, and free.  Sometimes the honesty is brutal and heartbreaking, sometimes joyous and uplifting.  It's authentic.  It's the foundation of good writing. 

2.  Somehow the conversation at Billy Mac's between Lynn and Kathleen and me veered to the question of how the Deke and I met and ended up married.  It was fun telling them that tale and some of the subplots. 

3.  I got home from Billy Mac's and after a full day of conferences, a prime rib dip sandwich, and a couple T and Ts, it really felt good to drop in bed and sleep deeply.

No comments: